Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Places You'll Go






One thing is for certain:  The Bay Area is beautiful.  This has been quite apparent in my journeys to different locations.

Los Medanos College (LMC), in Pittsburg, California struck me with its balance of contemporary beauty. . . .




and beautiful lake views. . . .






I spoke at a faculty leadership meeting and the inter-club council meetings.  The faculty noted that this would be a perfect opportunity for service leaning projects and Spanish classes.  During the inter-club council meeting students told me they were just thinking about such an opportunity.

 Another beautiful location is Santa Maria Parish, in Orinda, California.  They have a strong social justice committee.  I was able to give a brief presentation to their committee, and will keep my fingers crossed about volunteers.




My next adventure was to John F. Kennedy University, in Concord. I hiked to three different departments, including their School of Law, Undergraduate Studies, and their Psychology department.  Again, I felt so welcomed in each department.  I placed a flyer in their student lounge, and left keeping my fingers crossed.


It is simply amazing how this volunteer opportunity streams across so many disciplines:  Psychology students will learn the mechanics of doing surveys using human subjects; Spanish students can put their language skills to the test; churches can put their money where their mouth is, working among those most in need; Service Learning students can satisfy community service hours while knowing they are truly making a difference. . . .

This study is a simple lesson in the fact that when we give service to others, we are somehow blessed in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment