Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Diablo Valley College

Diablo Valley College extended the red carpet to the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano today.  Actually, they rolled out the red carpet to many businesses and organizations offering summer internships and volunteer opportunities.

From the moment I arrived on campus, the red carpet was rolled out: there was reserved parking; an event representative waiting for me as I exited the Food Bank vehicle; a map was given to me, showing the exact location of the fair. . . .  The list could go on and on.  I must say that I am quite impressed by the DVC hospitality. 

Once I set up the information table for the Hunger Study 2014 students immediately came by.  It is wonderful to belong to an organization that has such a recognizable and positive influence in the community. 





While I described the volunteer opportunity to the students, DVC representatives quietly placed bottles of water on the table for me.  It was the same during the lunch hour.  Students streamed by, while representatives placed a delicious lunch on the table.

Scores of students signed up to volunteer.  Many said that they would pass the word on to their family members and clubs that they belong to.



One highlight of the day was meeting a student who received Food Bank services in the past.  She is moving towards her dreams, and it is a comfort to see that she is "paying it forward" by giving of her time to assist in the survey.

Many thanks to Diablo Valley College for their hospitality.  I very much look forward to working with these wonderful students during Hunger Study 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment